Tottenham Reserves Make it Four out of Four

Date: 14/09/1908 At White Hart Lane

With Tottenham’s First team playing at home against the FA Cup holder with crowds of over 20,000, Tottenham’s second string  kicked of their season against Clapton Orient at Homerton,

No more than nine of the eleven players on show today being new signings,  Boreham was chosen as the custodian, with Leslie and Watts at the Back position hoping to show what they can do as a partnership. Gipps, Bentley and Bullock were selected to hold the middle and support the front with Woodruff, Morton and Wood being added to the Attacking front line with Seeburg and Payne.

The weather was terrible with the rain beating down for much of the morning before Kickoff did it’s best to dampen the mood of the football fans that had braved the weather to see the match today.

Referee: Captain Lovett

Tottenham Hotspur
Bull, Watt;
Gipps, Bentley, Bullock;
Woodruff, Massey, Morton, Payne, Ives

Clapton Orient
Murray, Johnson;
Gates, W. Hales, H. Willis;
Bonner, Scott, Prior, O’Gara, Candy;


Tottenham stated the first have like a team possessed and it only took two minutes for the opening goal to come when the man of the match at Homerton just eleven days ago banged in the opening goal Payne was showing his class on the inside left position. Bower was kept busy for much of the half and it looked like only time was holding out before a second would arrive. But Bower persistently denied Tottenham a second with a string of good saves, applauded by the 3000 strong football fans.

Despite his best efforts the second goal came midway through the first half with again Payne being the scorer, Ives working well down the left flank and making space for Payne to smack the ball so hard that he left Bower no chance of keeping it out of the net. Payne was not the only player who was trying their best to score and Massey and Woodruff both having Great chances denied by Bower.

Candy was the most effective player for Croydon and caused most of the headaches for Bull and Watts, his best opportunity came when he  was fouled inside the box by Watts just before half time, but he carried on and the ball hit the back of the net only for  Captain Lovett to blow the whistle for a penalty. He should have played the advantage but this was not to be. Gate stepped up to take the shot but kicked the ball straight at Boreham who caught it well and denied Orient a way back into the match.

Tottenham continued to dominate the first half with Clapton offering no respite for the fans nerves or the defensive strains but continued to sock up wave after wave of Tottenham attack. The first half was ended soon after the penalty miss and both side left the field.

First Half: Tottenham Hotspur 2 Clapton Orient 0 

The Change of ends saw a change in Orients mentality and soon went at Tottenham,

Bonner not soon after the restart ran straight into the heart of the Tottenham defence in an attempt to reduce the lead but his shot was wide from a great position. O’Gara also missed a great opportunity. But once again the tide turned and Tottenham went on the hunt for a third. This time it was Ives who scored with a fine strike hit first time as it fell to him.

Payne who was having a great game in Scoring two and help scoring the third goal, was running well down the flank when he badly twisted his ankle, it is likely that he may be out for up to six weeks.

Not much else happened in the second half with Tottenham showing most of the promise for a fourth but this never happened. The good Captain Lovett called a halt to the second half to an end and Tottenham had their fourth win on the bounce and looked good for the season much the same as there first team.

Second Half: Tottenham Hotspur 3 Clapton Orient 0