Massey Misses Penalty to give Southend a Point

Date: 21/09/1908 At White Hart Lane

Tottenham go into this game on a five match unbeaten run, picking up nine out of the ten points available with the only dropped point coming just two days ago at the hands of Norwich City.

Southend were the visitor today after their FA Cup outing against London Caledonians an amateur club mostly formed of Scottish players based in Holloway. Four of this team that played in this match where available for today’s game against Tottenham.

The Spurs make a number of changes to the team that played at the nest, eight players keep their place in the team that drew two days ago. Boreham stays in goal, Woodruff stays at outside right, Woods keeps his place at inside left for the injured Payne and Ives on the outside of him. Leslie drops from right back to the back position for Bull and Massey drops from inside right to right back to fill Leslie’s position. Bentley keeps the centre position and Gipps is kept at left back.

Changes to the team are amateur C. Watson in for Watt at the back and J. Oliver an amateur and captain of Walthamstow FC is brought in at inside left with the recall of Seeburg who is preferred at the centre forward position making up the team for the match.

Watt was not available for the match today due to the unthinkable and untimely death of his new baby child John Watt and is at home with his family and the thoughts of the club go out to him and his family at this sad time

Referee: Mr D. T. Dockrell

Tottenham Hotspur
Leslie, C. Watson;
Massey, Bentley, Gipps;
Woodruff, J. Oliver, Seeburg, Woods, Ives
Southend United:
Shinner, Cairns;
Axcell, Leslie, Harred;
Cotterill, Frost, Ronaldson, Anderson, Jack.

This match on paper was expected to go Tottenham’s way with all the changes that had been made to the Southend squad.

The match what looked like end to end play was always hit by a good defensive line that neither team looked to get through with both teams attempting to carve out what looked to be the winning goal due to the closeness of the teams. The first half showed little in front of goal and there was not much to report. Jack was the biggest thorn in the Tottenham defence, Jack tested Boreham on two occasions to the full extent that Boreham could handle but luckily for Tottenham Boreham was up to the task the First half whistle was blown and both sides went in on an even score.

Halftime: Tottenham Hotspur Res: 0 Southend United Res: 0

The players headed back on the field with what the 1,800 crowd as hoping to be a more exciting match J. Oliver spoiled the first real opening for Tottenham by shooting over and when wood got in to a great position and sent a good pass into Oliver’s path who put the ball into the net only to have the referee blow is whistle of offside, which put the crowed in a nasty mood. Ives was the best of the Tottenham forwards and put in one or two shots that caused the Southend custodian to scamper for the ball but he could not find the back of the net.

Tottenham’s best chance came in the form of a penalty cutesy of one of Ives shots when the ball was sent in and a loud bang was heard from the upright and the ball was sent out back into the area, body’s flew in and in the confusion Southend’s Leslie was seen to handle the ball and the referee had no choice to give the penalty. Massey stepped up and stood in front of the goalkeeper.

With his strike of the ball he sent it directly into the arms of cotton standing in the Southend and what was the best opportunity Tottenham could ask for to win the tightest of matches was gone.

As the match was already given to Tottenham before kick-off it was a surprise that the match did not reflect this. However Southend were the finest of the team throughout and deserved the points even if they did concede the penalty but over all were the happier of the two teams.

Final Score: Tottenham Hotspur Res: 0 Southend United Res: 0