The Reserve pensioners give Cocky Reserves a hard time.

Tottenham Hotspur Res v Chelsea Rev
White Hart Lane 26/09/1908 3:30pm


With the South Eastern league now starting to get its legs underway; Tottenham’s fine start had seen them crowing at the top of the roost with four wins and two draws and having a two point advantage over second place with ten points to eight. The Second place team were the visiting players from Chelsea, being only two points behind Tottenham due to two defeats.

Tottenham with the home advantage were looking to increase this lead to four points but last week’s performance at home might raise the question on whether this is possible to achieve today.Last week’s match saw Tottenham draw at home to Southend United Nil-Nil with Seeburg failing to produce the finish that was expected of him.

With this result, the board decided on three changes in player personnel and a shift in field position for another.  Watt comes in to replace Watson in the back two with Gipps switching over to the right Halfback position instead of Massey, who is replaced by O. Stone on the Left hand side.  Seeburg is dropped for D. L. Macrae at the centre forward position.

This will be Stones’ and Macrae’s first outing in the spurs shirt this season and they’ll be hoping to put in a good performance in front of a crowd of three thousand spectators.

 Referee: Mr A. G. Milton

Tottenham Hotspur:
Leslie; Watt
Gipps; Bentley; O. Stone
Woodruff; J. Oliver, D.L. Macrae; Wood; Ives

Chelsea Res:
Harding; Miller
Henderson; Kennedy; E.W. Reilly
Douglas; Dolby; McKenzie; Freeman; E.G Harris


At kick off, Chelsea had clearly not read the script that Tottenham and the fans had and within the first minute from kick-off, Dolby slotted the ball past Boreham to put Chelsea in front. Wood however, was not in the mood to be upstaged and in a smart passage of play smacked a first time shot past the helpless Robinson who had no chance of clearing the shot. This made up for a bad miss just a few moments earlier in a similar position.

Both sets of forward played some exciting forward play which got the crowd roaring at most attacks. Harding, who once played at Tottenham, looked shaky at the back for Chelsea and made the forward play by Tottenham sometimes look more dangerous than it was. Having said that, the Pensioners’ forward play was much better and Harris looked good and confident on the attack. For much of the first half he was the player that Chelsea relied on, with Dolby as the main threat in front of goal.

J. Oliver almost crowned his debt for spurs with a goal, only to have the referee rule the goal offside much to the dismay of the player and fans in the stands. The first half ended and with some great play from both sides, a one-all score line was justified and if not Tottenham just edging the play.

Half-time score: Tottenham Hotspur Res 1: Chelsea Res 1

The Tottenham team that walked out onto the pitch in the second half had either forgotten that they were in a match or had forgotten their football boots as they were not the same team that went into the dressing room.
Chelsea attacked spurs and faced very little in resistance from them, and without the heroic performance from Boreham it could have been a field day for Chelsea in front of the home goal.

For most, if not all of the second half, Tottenham seemed to lose all shape and understanding amongst the players; only Macrae and Stone made any kind of attack on the visitors’ goal with Macrae forcing Robinson into a great save to deny him what might have been the winning goal thanks to Boreham efforts at the other end.

Boreham made some great saves in the second half which kept Tottenham in the points and as the final whistle went, he received a standing ovation for his performance in the second half. All the spurs players should be grateful to have him as the custodian today.

Final score: Tottenham Hotspur Res 1: Chelsea Res 1